You know that you need to up your game when your child stops saying “my teacher” and starts saying “my Professor” ~ that’s when you know you have to get POST SECONDARY BACK TO SCHOOL READY! Ahhhh!
Disclosure: I have been compensated to share this post. The opinions on this blog are my own.
My friends if you think the back-to-school season is beginning much too soon, then you are sadly mistaken. Classes begin in about two weeks; however, you must not forget that post secondary institutions are a serious thing. Generally, during the summer months you would have picked your courses and paid your tuition fees. Usually by mid-September you would need to have dropped out of any courses in order to get full refunds. Time literally flies by!
The key to a successful school year is to be ready and organized. There are many ways to do so, and overall I would say that the best way is whatever works for you. Having said this, I would be remiss if I didn’t share a few of my favourite tips with you.
- The Five Star 2″ Zipper Binder ~ with a (380 sheet) 2″ capacity, 3-ring fixture you’ll discover that it’s an excellent size for your notes; whether you choose to carry one for each subject, or use dividers and carry one for a couple of subjects. It has a durable handle so that it’s easier for you to carry, and it also has a zippered pocket to securely carry smaller school supplies. The included three removable file folders are wonderful to store the work you are currently working on, or perhaps store the assignment that you have to hand in as soon as you get to class! My Tip: Ensure you label the removable file folders and any tabbed dividers so you’re ready for anything on Day One. I suggest the Five Star Poly Tabbed Dividers because the poly construction makes it long lasting, and the multi-coloured assorted designs allow you to colour-code subjects or simply add a splash of colour to your binder-full of paper.
- The Five Star Heavyweight Refill Paper (125 sheets) ~ College ruled 24 lb, and three hole punched. Not just any ‘ol paper! It’s heavyweight, which means it’s premium-feel … it’s thick and won’t bleed through and that means you can write on both sides! My Tip: Go ahead and fill up those zippered binders, and make sure you store a backup pack in your locker (if you’re an off campus student), or store it in your desk (if you’re in residence)! Either way, you are covered.
- The Five Star Pocket & Prong Portfolios ~ these offer secure paper storage, and have reinforced holes for strength. You can opt for the Customizable Poly Pocket & Prong Portfolio or the Two Pocket Folder with Prong Fasteners [Stay Put Folder, Folder with Pockets] … I suggest these because they’re strong and will last all year long! My Tip: Select your colours so that you can colour-code subjects!
- The Five Star 4-Pocket Portfolio ~ you can select from an assortment of 9 colours, they’re durable, and water-resistant! The 4-pocket portfolio helps you keep your papers organized, and there is even helpful information printed on the inside of the portfolio! My Tip: Select your colours so that you can colour-code subjects!
- The Five Star Pencil Pouch ~ tons to pick from but I really like both the Five Star Multi-Pocket Pencil Pouch and the Five Star Stand ‘N Store Pencil Pouch. My Tip: it’s a matter of preference so I look for quality like no puncture micro-mesh for longer lasting cases, and zippered compartments for extra safe storage!
- The Five Star Academic Year Weekly & Monthly Planner Agenda ~ this planner is super essential in staying organized throughout the year! It has a spiral guard to prevent snags from the wire! The tabbed page help you quickly find today’s date!
- Lasts all year, and has thick covers. It spans months from August – July; one week per two page spread is ruled; weeks are displayed Monday – Sunday with checkboxes.
- One month per two page spread features unruled daily blocks and notes; tabbed months; past/future month calendar blocks shown for reference; student reference pages included in front of the planner.
- Additional student reference pages in back of the planner.
My Tip: I like using a variety of coloured highlighters to colour-code subjects!
and lastly …
7. Notebooks! Notebooks! Notebooks! Can you really ever have enough? Five Star has several styles to choose from. Look for:
- Five Star Wireless Notebook ~ organize subjects with tabbed dividers
- Five Star College Ruled Notebook ~ 5 1/2″ great for jotting down quick reminders
- Five Star 1 Subject 200 Page Notebook ~ durable poly covers and reinforced storage pockets will protect your work!
My Tip: Design your own cover to add excitement and to distinguish the subject from others. Colour-code subjects!
As a parent of a College student, I know it’s time for “Mommy to step back”. It’s not easy to sit quietly and watch them bloom! What is important is that you set them up for success. You teach them right from wrong, you love and support them, and you give them the tools they need. After that, it’s up to them. I’ve summed it up short and sweet so it might sound simple. Hey, no one said it would be easy! You’ve heard that saying and so have I … and it’s the truth!
Kids ~ it’s time to embrace your future!
Parents ~ it’s time to let them.
Good Luck to all.