OITNB Season 4 is finally here! Are you getting ready to binge? I am!! I have all my snacks and drinks ready, my phone(s) have been turned off, and even my social media has been placed on hold.
Orange is the New Black’s season 4 debuts today (July 17th). Netflix has done a little digging to reveal that this original series is one of its most re-watched globally among subscribers. Examining viewing in over 190 countries, Netflix found more than half (53%) of Orange viewers have re-watched at least one full season of the acclaimed series since its debut in 2013. Not surprisingly, this re-watching behavior peaks each June in anticipation of the new season, this year being no exception.
Disclosure: I have been compensated to share this post. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Netflix also released the series most re-watched episodes. As expected, viewers prefer to re-indulge in the last three episodes of a season, but the one that remains supreme is, of course, season 1, episode 1 when Piper Chapman leaves her supportive fiancé Larry for her new home: a woman’s prison.
Some Canadian-specific highlights about OITNB fans are as follows:
- Almost one quarter of Canadian respondents (23%) plan to watch the previous season while 42% plan on re-watching all seasons before the season 4 launch
- Close to half of respondents (43%) said they will start preparing for the new season (S4) this week, and Canadian fans are willing to give up house chores to do so — cleaning the house (41%) and making your bed (38%)
- Outside of refreshing their memory, one third said they like to re-watch to relive moments with their favourite characters and 30% said they look for possible foreshadowing
- Over one quarter (28%) said they re-watch because it’s their favourite show and they can’t get enough
- It can be lonely in Litchfield. Over one third of Canadian respondents (32%) said they plan to re-watch by themselves.