As parents settle back into their fall routines, meal planning for families becomes more complicated. In fact, according to a recent survey from the Loblaws and President’s Choice® teams, 68% of Canadian parents have less than 10 minutes to make their child’s breakfast on a weekday. Less than 10 minutes! I take longer than 10 minutes to take care of my 3 cats!
Disclosure: I have been compensated to share this post. The opinions on this blog are my own.
It’s not easy to balance nutrition and creativity in such a short amount of time. If you should have a picky eater, it’s even more difficult! That’s why I love Loblaws and President’s Choice®; they make it easy to put together delicious and nutritious recipes. It really is easy for Canadian parents to cook in the time they actually have.
41% of parents find that their children bring home uneaten lunch items. I know I experienced this for years, when my daughter was in primary school, mostly because she’d spend her lunch hours trying to get extra help from teachers or volunteering her services. Many of her friends would take home uneaten lunch items as well! Perhaps it was because lunches got boring? Did you know that 48% of parents find it difficult to be creative with lunches for school.
It’s true, 40% of Canadian parents said they ate more dinners as a family when they were growing up than their children eat with them. It’s clear that the family dining experience is changing, and parents are feeling the effects. With 51% of parents wishing they had more dinners with their loved ones.
For me, if I can have fast, effortless meals than I can spend more quality time with my family. That’s what it’s all about. Minimal effort … maximum taste … fabulous results!
The Loblaws® and President’s Choice® teams believe that fall family dining should mean eating nutritious meals that don’t eat up hours. They’ve put together a series of recipes (breakfast, lunch, and dinner); I’m happy to share one for each meal:
In two minutes or less, this healthy and satiating breakfast will help carry you from breakfast all the way through to lunch. Easy for the little ones to assemble themselves, this decadent yogurt parfait is healthy and simple to create in a pinch.
Serves: 1 person
Prep time: 2 minutes
- 3 tbsp PC® Organics™ Honey Almond Granola Cereal
- 6 blueberries. [I may have used more]
- PC® Organics™ 0% M.F. Honey Stirred Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup PC® Organics™ Sweetened Applesauce
Layer 2 tbsp (25 mL) granola, 3 blueberries, yogurt and applesauce in a parfait glass. Top with remaining 1 tbsp (15mL) granola and 3 blueberries.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Per serving: 400 calories, fat 17 g, sodium 500 mg, carbohydrate 29 g, fibre 6 g, protein 35 g
- 1 can (341 mL) PC® Blue Menu™ Peaches & Cream Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) PC® Broccoli Slaw
- 2 cans (213 g) PC® Blue Menu™ Wild Pacific Sockeye Salmon, drained
- 1 pkg (238 g) PC® Organics™ Grape Tomatoes
- ¼ cup (50 mL) PC® Blue Menu™ Vinaigrette – Fat Free Italian Dressing
- Into three 750 mL containers with lids, layer corn, carrots, green onions, broccoli slaw, salmon and tomatoes, dividing ingredients evenly among containers. Drizzle dressing over the top. Cover. Chill until ready to pack into lunch back.
- Pack salad in cooler bag with a cold source. When ready to eat, give container a shake to fully dress salad.
DINNER: Fresh and Simple Portuguese Salad The clean and vibrant flavours of this fresh salad make it an ideal accompaniment to one of our PC® Portuguese Style Seasoned Whole Chickens. For the best flavour, let the salad stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
TIP: Kids are more likely to eat a meal they have helped prepare. Let younger kids pit olives, tear fresh coriander and mint by hand and stir the salad to combine. Older children can peel cucumbers and slice tomatoes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Per serving: 130 calories, fat 11 g (of which 1.5 g is saturated), sodium 360 mg, carbohydrate 7 g, fibre 2 g, protein 2 g
- 1 pkg (500 g) PC® Tomatoes on the Vine, quartered
- Half sweet red pepper, diced
- Half English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) PC® Olives Whole Kalamata, pitted
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely diced white onion
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp PC® Organics™ Aged Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) each chopped fresh coriander and mint
- Combine tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, olives, onion, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl; sprinkle with coriander and mint.